Sunday, July 5, 2015

Prep - Day 0

Seven days, 168 hours, zero trash.


I moved to New York City exactly nine months ago, and for all of the urban beauty, bewilderment, and bustle that has cast its spell on me, I cannot overlook the ubiquitous and dolefully iconic trash bags. According to the NYC Mayor's Office official website, New York City generates 14 million tons of waste annually at a cost of $300 million for residential waste alone. Per capita, that translates into 12.78 pounds of trash per person per day sent straight to the landfill. 

12.78 pounds. When I first ran the math behind the number, I figured I had to be a low-waste outlier. There was simply no way I generated two new born babies' weight in trash per day. But then, after inventorying my waste for about four weeks, glancing guiltily at my filled trash can at work, and logging the number of workouts per week hauling 3-4 trash bags full of waste up and down my four story walk-up, reality hit and hit hard: I am a waster.

This week, I am committing to a zero waste life. That means no plastic coffee cup for my ritualistic 7:45am iced coffee from Roasting Plant, no straws or napkins accepted with my aperitifs, no plastic bags to weigh my bulk items at Whole Foods, no purchased food in a container (baskets of fruit included) or wrapper, no tissues, no printed paper, no salad bar containers, no nada. Zero waste.




For one week, I will chronicle the decisions, lessons, tips, products, stores, recipes, successes, and painfully awkward social moments associated with living waste-free in New York City. After one week, I hope to provide an honest assessment of if the rewards of thoughtfully living waste free outweigh the daily inconveniences of a choosing such a life. 

To kick start this journey, let me share some self-imposed rules and boundaries (yes, I can still go to the loo) and the prep I have done over the past month to gear up for my zero waste week.

The Rules:

  • No trash shall enter a public or private trash can
  • Unavoidable trash that is handed to me, such as receipts, will be documented and handled responsibly
  • "Trash once removed" where a third party has assumed the waste I would have generated, such as salad bar food or dry cleaning, is considered waste and will be avoided
  • If I owned it before starting this week, it's fair game (i.e. shampoo)
  • Biogenic waste will be treated with a 4-square maximum per visit (Do you really need any more toilet paper than 4-squares? Are 25-squares really necessary?)
  • Water will be conscientiously conserved 

The Prep:

  • 6 bandannas purchased, in lieu of napkins, paper towels, and tissues

  • 16 oz. reusable cup
  • 400 mL Nalgene
  • Urban rooftop garden growing cilantro, basil, lettuce, peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes, kale, and mint

  • Pyrex glass tupperware
  • Bento bags
  • Reusable shopping bags
  • Exploration of nearby Farmer's Markets

A moment of gratitude before I venture into the proverbial wild to those who have supported and/or inspired this initiative: Nanny, Mom, Julie, Nicole, Jason, Liz, Lindsay, Naveed, Brandon, Adriane, and Karen.

And so, tomorrow starts day one of a softer tread on planet earth. 

1 comment:

  1. Excellent posting with great tips of the trade. There's no doubts Dad nor I have that you have become increasingly suuccessful in your trash free life style. Our community makes it as easy as possible for residents to dispose of trash, all forms of recycleables, yard grasses, leaves, shrub clippings,etc.,. glass,plastics, paper products, and whatnot. Dad & I manage less than 1/2 to 2/3 of a 13 gal.kitchen trash bag once a week which includes waste bags from each room. While our townhouse is all electric, each room has separate thermostats; Last year's water annd sewage bill per quarter was $115. or less, and there were soehow only 3 quarters in 2014!! Our electric bills have ranged between $50. & $70.each month this year. I think we only used the AC 4 or 5 days this summer, with open windows & cross ventilation, as well as the breezes from Lake Avon providing great cooling at night, and even hot & humid days. We have solar powered path lights and likewise tall lanterns. We also got thermal drapes that are useful year round. Neighbors are generous with hanging plant pots in early to mid-August so we have beautiful gardens each year now. We purchase groceries on an as needed basis, so we can avoid throwing out any food.
    Anyway, AngelLady we continue to be as proud of you as possible. Can‘t wait to see
    you & Jason as soon as possible, before or after Brazil.
    All our love, Frankie and M.E. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete