Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Packaging Predicaments - Day 2

On stuff.


Well, this arrived today.



It had slipped my mind that I ordered a frame online about two weeks ago for my newest art addition. Turns out, I'm hardly the only person receiving cardboard boxes in the mail. In fact, Amazon alone ships 608 million packages per year (that's over 69,000 cardboard packages per day) and hit a record 310 products sold in one second last year. 

Inspired by my unpleasant delivery this morning, today is devoted to exploring (1) packaging; (2) needs vs. wants; and, as promised, (3) bidets.

On packaging, I felt compelled to dig into the data behind shopping locally versus the one-click Amazon Prime luxury using two metrics: carbon footprint and total waste.

Throwing on my research cap, this study quantified the difference in carbon emissions between items ordered over the internet and those purchased in brick and mortar shops. Tracking over 40,000 online orders and in-store shoppers, data scientists found that at short distances-- less than 8.6 miles one-way-- in-store shoppers had a lower carbon footprint than online customers per transaction. Emissions per product, however, increase dramatically if individuals travel longer distances by car or public transportation for an item that could be more efficiently transported by one mass-delivery truck.

From a waste perspective, in-store shopping allows more autonomy and control over waste generate with the use of reusable bags. You also get a dose of human interaction and product engagement that Amazon can't provide. That said, when Amazon is the only option for your obscure item (like men's handerpants underwear gloves??), most of the corrugated cardboard boxes sent by Amazon are 100% recyclable for use in other paper products. In New York, recycling is actually the law. While many managed buildings will sort recycling for tenants, you can use this handy collection finder to learn more about when recycling pick-up happens near you.

The other option to recycling is upcycling, which is exactly what I intend to do with my cardboard foe at home. Since I have a number of packages I need to send, I am repurposes this monster box into a number of smaller boxes. Not only will I save money on the boxes, but I can make the boxes fit to scale for the items I am sending. There are plenty of other upcycling ideas for boxes and products, like my trusted watering can made from an old juice bottle.



We also decided to create an upcycled table for our rooftop garden. Instead of paying for a new table, my co-urban farming boyfriend and I were able to construct a table out of a table top and two salted jellyfish boxes we found on the sidewalk on trash day. Total cost: $0. Total hipster factor: 10/10.


Long story short, try to source your products locally within 8.6 miles from your home. If not, dedicate time to making your product or explore thoughtful online purchases by researching compostable or recyclable options. The Life Without Plastic online store is a great search engine to begin your low-waste hunt.

On needs vs. wants, I looked at my new art frame and realized this was definitely a "want". Did I need it? Probably not. Next time you catch yourself saying "I need a manicure" or "I need a new shirt", perhaps correct yourself and recognize that it is a "want". Before you start reducing, reusing, and recycling, see if you can start refusing.

Needs, however, still exist. On household "needs", here are some options worth exploring with helpful links. In my opinion, all are totally worth the investment to start changing your habits towards zero-trash:

On bidets, I received a lot of great feedback from readers after instating my 4-square toilet paper rule on Day 0. For starters, I had no idea bidets could be purchased at Home Depot for a mere $39 and installed in less than 5 minutes at home. The convenience factor is compelling. From a sanitary perspective, washing with water instead of wiping has been identified as more hygienic germ for germ than toilet paper alone. Water is cleans more gently than toilet paper when it comes to the dirty work and is waste and bleach free.

Using toilet paper adds up; my bidet-using friends informed me that their toilet paper consumption has dropped about 75% since adding a bidet to their bathrooms. In America, we use 34,000,000 rolls of toilet paper from 221,000 trees every single day. Thanks to Jesse for picking me up a bidet from Home Depot today. Installation to follow.

In summary:
  • Shop local or put in the extra research to make your own stuff at home
  • Add two "R"s to the environmental mantra: Refuse, Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, and Rot
  • Assess wants versus needs; for both, think of ways you can upcycle material
  • Bidets for the win
  • Handkerchiefs and reusable cups are still ranked as my #1 and #2 saving graces in significantly reducing my waste

Two final closing thoughts:

1. One of the greatest hours of my day where I can truly turn my brain off from thinking about living waste-free is the hour spent exercising and being outdoors. Since beginning my week, I've taken two long runs with no wallet in hand. Whether its walking, running, or even meditating, everyone owes themselves an hour to connect without consumption. I also encourage readers to check out Headspace, a highly effective, fun to use meditation app that blossomed out of the UK. I meditate nearly every morning to gain thoughtfulness, and it has changed my life in unthinkable ways. 

2. Since today was a non-compost day at Union Square, I brought my empty one-quart yogurt container to work as my temporary compost bucket. I'll venture out tomorrow to compost the waste. In the meantime, I will shamelessly continue to ask for my food to be served on my handkerchief, waste-free.



Total daily waste: one rubber band from the celery above (I plan to re-purpose the rubber band somewhere in the garden)

Perk of the day: Did you catch the Humans of New York post on consumption today? If not, check it out on the link above. Also, feeling the love in my subway station!



2 comments:

  1. Interesting stuff Leslie. I love the toothpaste idea. Maybe I should try that out as well although I'm not that handy with these things. Somehow I reckon I'll end up blowing something up.
    And yeah the bidet, since moving to Singapore that's become a much more common thing than I expected. Although here you have a high power shower head installed next to many toilets. It's cleaner indeed but i'm not sure about the paper reduction quite yet. At least not if you want to leave a clean seat for the next one

    ReplyDelete
  2. While traveling in Italy with my BFF Pat last September, I was curious to see the sheer number of bidets which apparently are quite common in Europe. I got the hang of it in due time and I came to actually appreciate its usefulness. I'm happy to see the attention you're giving it, and Home Depot is less than 8.6 miles away!!!

    ReplyDelete